A minimalist millennial mom’s newborn must haves, in no particular order.
If you are reading this you are probably trying to figure out what the heck you need for your newborn baby, and you have probably received more recommendations than you can make sense of. I spent an embarrassing amount of time researching baby products and trying to keep the list minimal.
The truth is a lot of this process is trial and error; as every baby is different, and every family has different needs. The main goals I had in mind when creating our registry were ensuring the products were safe, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly, all while maintaining the notion that less really is more. If your goals are the same, I hope you find this helpful!
*Note- As much as possible I tried to buy LOCAL. Satara Home and Baby was able to order A LOT of this for me even if they didn’t have it in stock. This was written while Lincoln is 10 weeks old, so this list only spans my favorite products in the newborn stage.
- Avent Glass Bottles- Was super important to us not to have plastic bottles, we love these. MAKE sure to buy size 1 nipples, as these come with bigger nipples, we learned the hard way!
- Willow Go Pump- I exclusively pump and for me the wearable pumps are hands down my favorite. Some people say they get less output, mine seems to be the same and I couldn’t stand having cords. Get extras of all parts, so you are not constantly washing and reassembling.
- Auden Nursing Bra from Target- Since I use the wearable pump I don’t need a specific pumping bra, I just use the nursing bra. I tried a lot of pumping bras when I was pumping with a pump with cords and I really didn’t find one I loved.
- Owlet Dream Sock Plus- Make sure to get the Dream sock PLUS as it has two sizes so it will fit longer (0-5 years!)
- Snuggle Me Organic Infant Lounger- Lincoln slept in this a TON as an infant, with supervision ONLY. You could get two covers if you don’t want to have to wash one as many times, we just bought one. He was so cozy in this, it was one of our most used products for the first few weeks.
- Snoo Bassinet- Literally the best, he had to get used to it we didn’t think he liked it at first but now it’s a game changer, soothes and sways faster when he is crying, built in sound machine, sleeps SO much more because of this, worth the money or borrow a friend’s like we did.
- Naturepedic Crib Mattress- If you get a mini crib make sure to get the mini size. Both sizes come with waterproof cover, could get two for laundry purposes. So many mattresses claim they are nontoxic and it’s not accurate. THIS one is. We haven’t transitioned him to his crib yet so we haven’t used it yet.
- Ollie Swaddle- LOVE this swaddle, only swaddle you need, also the one that Taking Cara Babies (our sleep program) recommends. Fits your baby at all sizes so you don’t need multiple sizes. I would get two for wash purposes. We use this swaddle in addition to the snoo swaddle because we dress him super lightly in clothing underneath and love how secure this swaddle is.
- Bebcare Motion Video (Non-Wifi)- We didn’t want wifi in his room as much as possible. This camera has low EMFs which were important to us. I also didn’t want a camera on my phone. I wanted a separate monitor so I wasn’t on my phone more than I needed to be.
- Wubbanub Pacifier- This pacifier has the Avent pacifier attached to it which is the normal pacifier he likes, and it doesn’t fall out of his mouth as much with the weighted animal on it, so cute too. Get at least 2, we leave one in his crib and use it when he goes to bed.
- Best Bottom Cloth Diaper System- We use a local diaper service and this is the brand they recommend. We only used the Best Bottoms once he was like 7 lbs, they had us use a different cover as a newborn. You could buy the bundle if you want to do cloth at home versus a service. The service is SO inexpensive compared to disposable diapers.
- Healthybaby Disposable Diapers and Wipes- We use disposable diapers at night and when we are out for the day so he sleeps longer/less changes while out, these are the ONLY EWG verified diapers, we love them. The wipes are great too! You can do a subscription so it automatically comes to your door. We have had ZERO diaper rash with the cloth diapers and thee diapers, so we haven’t used any diaper cream on him.
- Primally Pure Baby Products- Love all of their products, the balm works really well for the dry skin on his face. We use their products after the bath every night.
- Angel Care Baby Bath- We use this every night in the bathtub.
- Nose Frida- We suck his nose out every night to keep it clear after the bath, I still have to manually pull boogers out with a cotton swab (very carefully) but it gets mucus out well.
- LovedBaby Organic Kimono Bodysuit- These are THE best, basically all I want to put him in as they make diaper changes so simple. We actually put him in these with no pants in his Ollie swaddle then the snoo swaddle for bed, making diaper changes easier. Trust me, kimono style is SO much easier, next baby I will only use these for at least the first few months, especially at night.
CAR SEAT + STOLLER
- Nuna Pipa Lite RX- Super safe and super light if you get the “lite” one, love it so much and fits in both Nuna Strollers so well.
- Nuna TRVL Stroller- This is probably the least necessary item on the list but we love it, it’s like 13 lbs and so easy to take in and out of the car, we actually leave it in the car. If you don’t need a lightweight stroller you could skip it. It isn’t good on rough terrain but great for city living and errands when it’s not snowy. The Nuna car seat sits right in it. Will be great for traveling on an airplane too!
- Nuna Mixx Next Stroller- This stroller is more of a semi all terrain stroller. Make sure to get the second generation the NEXT one, better suspension. Car seat fits great in it, you can also buy a bassinet for when they are little and a cup holder for the parent. I love this stroller, definitely heavier than the TRVL stroller.